How to Exercise your Brain
Scientists believe that exercising your brain can create a `cognitive reserve` that will help you stay sharp as you age.
Read on for 13 great tips on how to exercise your brain in order to keep it as sharp as it ever was – and even sharper!
- Remember and repeat groups of words. Memorising your grocery list, your friends` phone numbers, botanical names of plants, trees and flowers, etc., will help to exercise your brain.
- Take classes to exercise your brain. Learn something new that you`ve always wanted to master. You could, for example, learn to play chess, study a foreign language, enrol in an art class or take a short course at a university.
- Play games, do puzzles. Playing games and doing puzzles such as cryptic crossword puzzles, Scrabble, Sudoku, and jigsaws will help to exercise your brain.
- Read and read and read. Read a variety of books, literature and other well-written materials.
- Consult your dictionary and thesaurus. Stuck for the meaning of a word? Consult your dictionary or thesaurus. Learning and remembering the meaning of new words helps to exercise your brain.
- Do mental arithmetic. Perform mathematical calculations mentally and regularly to exercise your brain.
- Learn to read, play and listen to classical music, especially Mozart. ‘The Mozart Effect’ increases brain activity more positively than any other kind of music. Two pieces of Mozart`s music: Sonata for Two Pianos in D Major (K. 448) and Piano Concerto No. 23 (K. 488), have been found to have a significant effect on brain activity.
- Meditate to exercise your brain. Meditation offers many health benefits, including reduced stress and anxiety. Meditation may also make you feel more alive, enhance your feelings of calm, and heighten your awareness.
- Eat omega fatty acids. Foods containing omega fatty acids – such as flax and hemp seeds, and oily fish – are known to boost brain and intellectual stamina.
- Be humorous. Create humour to utilise and exercise multiple parts of your brain.
- Swap hands. Use your left hand if you are right-handed, and vice versa in order to exercise both sides of your brain.
- Eat breakfast. Breakfast is essential for your body and brain to function efficiently.
- Exercise your body to exercise your brain. Remember to exercise your body – a healthier body creates a healthier brain. When exercising, walk backwards to stimulate and exercise the brain.
(Reference - http://www.all4women.co.za/health/healthy-mind/how-to-exercise-your-brain)